Rochester Cathedral Trust Music AppealFunding Our Future
Rochester Cathedral Development Trust (registered charity number 291616) was formed to assist the Dean and Chapter to raise money towards the Cathedral’s outgoings and capital expenditure. Rochester Cathedral relies on the generosity of benefactors, grant making organisations, private foundations and, of course, individuals to supplement its income.
We are very honoured that HRH The Countess of Wessex GCVO is Patron of the Development Trust.
We are also extremely fortunate to have Jools Holland OBE DL as our Music Patron and a most generous supporter of the choir for many years.
What is the need?
It costs around £1m a year to keep Rochester Cathedral running on a day to day basis. The Cathedral is almost entirely self funding. We receive no Government money and very little from central church funds. Additional projects such as improvements to the building, development of the music our extending our ministry into new and exciting areas all depend heavily on support from Charitable Trusts and Foundations, giving by companies, individual giving and legacies.
The largest call on the Cathedral’s income is the Music Department; the organists, the lay clerks and choral scholars, and the choristers.
Consequently the target of raising £10 million is to secure the future of the choral foundation, and to enable it to maintain and build on the excellence for which it is known.
Not only is the liturgy enhanced immeasurably by music, but the unique English cathedral choral tradition is a jewel in the crown of our national heritage, and the Music Department, through its highly successful outreach initiatives, brings music and its educational benefits to the wider local community. On so many levels, music is central to the role of the Cathedral in our community.
Three areas of work that we aim to concentrate on are:
- To enable gifted young people from the poorest parts of Medway to benefit from the experience of being a chorister, which is widely held as one of the best musical opportunities available. Medway contains the most deprived wards in the South East and in parts of Chatham life expectancy is 10 years lower than the national average. We already work in close partnership with the Medway Music Hub, but would like to develop this further.
- To bring our musical expertise to those in prison. Singing has taken off in the public imagination recently and its health benefits are widely reported. We have already been invited to Maidstone Prison but lack the resources to make this happen.
- To use music in a therapeutic way with those suffering from Dementia. Working in partnership with a local charity, Sing for your Life, we aspire to become a centre for this. We believe that this would be an innovative piece of work in a very needy area.
The Business Guild works as a part of the Rochester Cathedral Trust to provide a direct link between businesses of commercial interests in the Medway and Kent and the Cathedral. It does so through a lively annual programme of seminars, social events, concerts and conferences.
The Friends of Rochester Cathedral
The Trust is a separate body to the Friends of Rochester Cathedral, with its large and lively membership, which raises money for the fabric of the Cathedral buildings. Over the past years it has funded many projects, for which the Cathedral is immensely grateful.
Donations of any size to the Trust’s fund raising are most gratefully received, but in order to acknowledge our debt to larger donors, the Trust has developed a “reward scheme”. Named after officers of the pre-Reformation monastic Cathedral foundation, different levels of donation will enjoy different benefits.
Chamberlain - £1,000 - £9,999
Almoner - £10,000 - £49,999
Prior - £50,000 or more
For details of the benefits attached to each level of support please click here. Benefits
Please contact the Development Officer, Lynne Bax, on +44 (0)1634 810074 or by email email@example.com with any enquires. She is most happy to help.
Ways of Giving and Tax Benefits and Reliefs
You may of course use the "Just Giving" link on the home page. Please do whatever you find most convenient. Not everyone is in a position, or wishes , to make a one off payment of a substantial amount, particularly in their lifetime. Naturally you mau make your gift in instalments, or even by a legacy pledge (for which you may also qualify for Inheritance Tax relief). We aim to be as flexible as possible given your requirements.
- If you wish your gift to be made without publicity, your anonymity is assured.
- If you qualify to “Gift Aid” your donation, the Cathedral will receive a refund of income tax from the government, at no extra cost to you.
- You may also qualify for income tax and capital gains tax relief if you give certain assets (including “qualifying shares”).
A useful summary of the tax benefits and reliefs is set out at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/giving/basics.htm. You may, though, wish to consult your independent financial advisor for confirmation of your personal situatioin. Again, the Development Officer (see above - Your Support) is very happy to discuss any concerns with you.
|12:00||Wedding ~ Tim Burton-Jones & Aislinn Meister|
|17:30||First Choral Evensong of John the Baptist|
Rochester Cathedral – Former Tea Rooms – Tender Opportunity Rochester Cathedral is the second oldest cathedral in England. An opportunity exists to develop the spaces used until recently as the...
In order to allow changes to the exhibition, access to the exhibition space in the Cathedral crypt will not be available on Thursday 25th and Friday 26th May. The new...