Ben Bloor - to join music staffWe are delighted to announce that Mr Ben Bloor has been appointed as the Michael James Assistant Sub-Organist from 1st September 2015.
Ben is currently the Organ Scholar at Westminster Cathedral having been Organ Scholar at New College, Oxford and St George's Chapel, Windsor.
James Taylor Quartet Concert 2015
We are delighted that this seems to be turning into an annual event! So those Jazz funk fans, please do put this in the diary. Last year the cathedral was packed and people were dancing in the aisles! James lives in Rochester and holds the cathedral very close to his heart and has written a very special Mass for our Choir which was performed for the first time in The Queen Elizabeth Hall in London in April, but will also be performed again here. Tickets £20 available from firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01634 810074/843366
Penshurst Place : Memorial ConcertTickets are still available for a very special summer evening Memorial Concert taking place at Penshurst Place on Sunday 31st May. Enjoy a walk in the beautiful gardens (it's Glorious Gardens week) from 5pm then enjoy a "bring your own" picnic in the grounds at the front of the house, followed by a concert at 7.30pm in the majestic Barons Hall. The Medway String Quartet, The Royal Tunbridge Wells Orpheus Male Voice Choir and our own Rochester Cathedral Choral Scholars will be performing. Tickets £45 (senior concession £40) available from Garth House on 01634 810074 or email email@example.com
Funds raised will go towards the Rochester Cathedral Music Endowment
Our very grateful thanks to Christopher Thornton for arranging the concert and Lord and Lady De L'Isle for the use of a wonderful venue.
Dean of Rochester ResignationPlease click link for the Press Release by the Bishop of Rochester
Hidden Treasures Ambassador / Outreach VolunteerHidden Treasures Ambassador / Outreach Volunteer
Purpose of Role: A voluntary ambassador role to actively promote the Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Project in community venues to raise the profile of the new exhibitions and events programme locally. A role essential to the success of the Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Project you will be a competent communicator capable of leading lively promotional talks with a wide audience.
Key Tasks: Delivering promotional talks on the
Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Project
Enhancing the level of community engagement and participation by:
· Lead talks in a lively and exciting way and facilitating discussions; interacting and involving audiences at all times and providing the ‘hook’ to get members of the public to visit Rochester Cathedral
· Volunteering as an individual and sometimes with a staff member to go out into community venues and lead promotional talks on the Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Project using the prop box
· Increase public and community awareness of the Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Project in a positive and engaging way
· Treating talk attendees as individuals, recognising their personal requirements and repsonding in a manner which is both flexible and appropriate to them
· Displaying an attentive, friendly, approachable, dignified and non-judgemental attitude at all times alongside a keeness to nurture talk attendees interest in and long term relationship with the Cathedral
On behalf of the Dean and Chapter
Optimising the value of the Hidden Treasures Ambassador team’s contribution by:
· Being a good ambassador, exhibiting behaviour and dignity appropriate to the nature and work of the Cathedral, thus maintaining an excellent reputation for the Cathedral
· Reporting any serious issues, concerns, accidents and emergencies promptly through the Community Engagement & Interpretation Manager
· Providing information regarding Cathedral facilities (such as Tearooms) and aids (such as Guide Books, Tours, Audio Guides, Exhibition and Library) available to the visitor, encouraging and actively promoting their use, whenever possible and encouraging donations when appropriate
· Supporting associated Departments as requested by the Community Engagement & Interpretation Manager
· Recording personal hours of volunteering and Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Talk statistics
· To comply with, support and actively promote Cathedral policies and practices at all times
· Attending such training and development opportunities as deemed necessary by the Dean & Chapter to effectively fulfil the Hidden Treasures Ambassador role and volunteer in compliance with Rochester Cathedral’s Health & Safety Policy at all times
· Ensure that all supporting equipment and resources are ready and available prior to giving a talk and that community venue environs are clean and well organised
· Meeting mutually agreed timed commitments, giving reasonable notice of absence to the Community Engagement & Interpretation Manager so that alternative arrangements can be made
· Being prepared to propose ideas for improvement and be prepared to receive performance related feedback
Line Manager: Community Engagement & Interpretation Manager
Volunteer Manager: Rebecca Bramley
Key internal contacts: Community Project Volunteers, Hidden Treasures Ambassadors
Anticipated time: Varies
All these arrangements are binding in honour only and not intended to be legally binding
· Lively and inspiring personality
· Great communication skills; confident to lead engaging promotional talks on the Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Project
· Able to volunteer alongside a wide variety of the community and anticipate their needs to nurture a successful long term relationship with the Cathedral
· Enjoys dealing with visitors and volunteering as part of a small team at the Cathedral and off site to the community to raise the profile of the new exhibitions and events programme locally
· Enthusiasm to develop knowledge of Rochester Cathedral and the Hidden Treasures Fresh Expressions Project and share knowledge with the community.
To register an interest in the above volunteering opportunity,please complete this form and post it to the Chapter Office.
Alternatively, contact the volunteer manager here..
Download our leaflet for further information Volunteering Opportunities Leaflet.
|08:00||Morning Prayer & Holy Communion|
|19:00||The Sixteen Choral Pilgrimage Concert|
Ben Bloor - to join music staff
We are delighted to announce that Mr Ben Bloor has been appointed as the Michael James Assistant Sub-Organist from 1st September 2015. Ben is currently the Organ Scholar at Westminster...