Rochester Cathedral "Sponsor a Chair" Project
On Friday 28th August 2009, 900 of the Cathedral's old, worn-out chairs were replaced with new ones.
You can be part of this exciting project by sponsoring one or more of the new chairs.
Why are the new chairs necessary?
- They are stylish, elegant and remarkably comfortable
- our current chairs are uncomfortable and detract from the beauty of the cathedral
- They can be stacked and moved easily
- a busy cathedral needs flexible seating for different events and services
- They are hard-wearing
- the new chairs have stood the test of time in other cathedrals
- They are safe
- 2 recent fires in other cathedrals were caused by chairs catching fire
Unpacking the chairs
(Photograph courtesy of The Kent Messenger Group)
Each year Rochester Cathedral hosts 1,500 services and events. High-quality seating is a vital part of our hospitality to guests, visitors and worshippers. The Howe 40/4 is one of the most space-saving chairs on the market; it stacks 40 high in only 4 ft (hence the name), and complements the colour and texture of the cathedral's architecture with its elegant design. You will find it in a number of the UK's mediaeval cathedrals.
Sponsoring a chair is a lovely way of helping the cathedral, and at the same time marking the contribution of an individual or an organisation that is important to you. Each chair can bear a plaque with a name requested by the sponsor - this could be your own name or someone you wish to commemorate; it could be the name of a church or parish, a school, club, company, regiment, university, or any other form of organisation.
Each chair costs £150. If you would like to sponsor one or more chairs, please contact Rochester Cathedral Trust, Garth House, The Precinct, Rochester, Kent, ME1 1SX (01634 810074) email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once sponsored, the chair remains the property of the cathedral and does not entitle the sponsor to any special admission or seating rights.
- The chairs are designed so that they may be moved and stacked when necessary. There is no undertaking to keep a sponsored chair in any part or position in the cathedral.
- While the chairs are expected to last for many years and every effort will be made to avoid damage, no guarantee can be given that any one chair will be in the cathedral for any specific period of time.
- The Dean and Chapter reserve the right to approve what may be inscribed on the plaque.
The Friends of Rochester Cathedral have very kindly contributed £50,000 towards this very expensive project, and our sincere thanks go to them for their continued support of our fund raising projects.