Rochester Cathedral possesses a ring of 10 bells which were cast in 1921 by Gillett and Johnston. They are tuned to the key of D major, the treble (lightest bells) weighs just under 300kg (or 5cwt 3qtrs 7lbs) and the tenor (heaviest bell) weighs just over 1.5 tonnes (or 30 cwt 0 qtr 14 lbs).
The main purpose of the bells is, as it has been for centuries, to call people to worship and the bells are rung by members of the Rochester Cathedral Company of Bell Ringers every Sunday morning for this reason. The bells are also rung for other occasions such as special services and weddings, in addition the ringers hold a weekly practice every Thursday.
If you would like more information about ringing or learning to ring at Rochester Cathedral, this can be found at the Rochester Cathedral Company of Bell Ringers’ web site at www.rccbr.co.uk
The group was instigated by Canon John Armson, former Precentor, in 1999. It was formed to promote the continuing care of the cathedral vestments, which for many years had been designed and made by the late Jennie Miskin and remain in use in the cathedral now.
The Embroiderers are all volunteers whose skills range from dedicated and enthusiastic to qualified. There is, however, strict quality control within the group, and all work is vetted. The total restoration of the Festal Altar Frontal and Super Frontal is currently being undertaken by the group.
The Cathedral Embroiderers, together with Medway NADFAS members, are making 44 new cushions in canvas work for the Clergy Quire Stalls. The enthusiastic fund-raising by members of Medway NADFAS has helped to support the new canvas work.
The group meets on Thursdays between 10am and 3pm and are currently at work in the Education building. In the near future they will be moving to the Colyer Fergusson room in the Crypt where visitors will be able to watch them at their exquisite work.